In preparation for the new dance season, it is important that you take a moment to make sure your music licensing fees are paid and active/renewed. The three major music-licensing houses are ASCAP, SESAC, and BMI.

In order to legally play music in your studio classrooms and at recitals/performances, you must maintain annual membership in the aforementioned music licensing organizations. The varying organizations contain licensing agreements for music that is not part of the public domain, including popular music, Broadway showtunes, Christmas carols, etc. The licensing covers music played by you, your instructors, and guest artists.

Licensing fees are based on number of students enrolled and purpose of use. Keep in mind this is a legal requirement if your facility/organization is playing music. Stay on top of your membership; otherwise, the music licensing organizations will likely reach out to you. Be proactive and set yourself up for a successful season!

music licensing